County of Hawai`i - Traffic and Roadwork


Reckless Driving

phone iconCall 911 (Police)

Road Hazards

phone iconCall 935-3311 (Police)

Road Closure Requests

phone iconCall 961-2227 (Police Traffic Services)

State Highway & Roads Maintenance

phone iconCall 933-8878 (State Highways)

Out of order traffic light icon and text Did You Know?

Traffic signals and stop signs are considered emergency repairs. Please call 961-8341 between 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. After hours, please report to Police at 935-3311.


To view any of the PDF documents you may use Adobe Acrobat Reader®, which is a free download. Use the Get Adobe® Reader® button and follow the instructions.

Adobe Acrobat Reader button "Get Acrobat Reader"

« Flood Studies | Main | Check flood hazards before you buy »

Filing Claims

If your property or home has suffered flood damage, follow these instructions to file your flood insurance claim.

  • Call your agent or insurance company immediately. Have the following information when you place your call:
    • The name of your insurance company (your agent may write policies for more than one company)
    • Your policy number
    • A telephone number/e-mail address where you can be reached
  • After you file, keep your agent advised if your contact information changes. If you are still in a shelter or cannot be easily reached, provide the name of a designated relative or point-of-contact person who can reach you.
  • When you file your claim, ask for an approximate timeframe during which an adjuster can be expected to visit your home so you can plan accordingly. Contact your insurance company again if an adjuster has not been assigned to you within several days.
  • An adjuster will work with you to calculate the value of the damage and prepare a repair estimate.
  • Take photographs. Take photos of any water in the house and any damaged personal property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage and damaged items (e.g., cut swatches from carpeting, curtains, chairs) to prepare your repair estimate.
  • Local officials may require immediate disposal of damaged items. If you dispose of items, keep a swatch, or other sample and a photo of damaged items for the adjuster.
  • Separate damaged items from undamaged items. If necessary, place damaged items outside the home.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their age and value when possible. If possible, have receipts for all items available for the adjuster.
  • If you have damage estimates prepared by a contractor, provide them to your adjuster since they will be considered in the preparation of your repair estimate. logoFor More Info

For more information on filing claims for flood damage insurance, contact Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Disaster Assistance, 1-800-621-3362.

For general flood insurance questions, call the National Flood Insurance Program, 1-800-427-4661, contact your insurance company or agent, or visit