County of Hawai`i - Traffic and Roadwork

To view any of the PDF documents you may use Adobe Acrobat Reader®, which is a free download. Use the Get Adobe® Reader® button and follow the instructions.

Adobe Acrobat Reader button "Get Acrobat Reader"

Thursday
Feb152018

HAKALAU STREAM BRIDGE REPAIRS WILL BEGIN ON FEB 16TH, 2018 

HAMAKUA, 2/15/18 – Repair work on the Hakalau Stream Bridge located on the road leading to Hakalau Beach Park which is currently closed, (not bridge on State Highway 19), will begin on Friday, February 16, 2018 and is expected to be completed by Tuesday, April 17, 2018, weather and construction conditions permitting.

Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company was awarded the contract to repair the northern abutment that has been undermined due to scouring from the Hakalau Stream.  The bridge repairs will meet Federal Highways Administration (FHWA) standards and ensure the public’s safety at this stream crossing. 

The County of Hawai‘i Department of Public Works apologizes for any inconvenience this closure has caused and thanks the community for their patience and understanding.

All State and Federal approvals, certifications, and environmental permits required by the Federal Highways Administration (FHWA) have been secured.  80% of the $1,644,000 project cost will be funded by Federal funds and the county will contribute the remaining 20%.

If there are any questions or concerns regarding the bridge repair work, please call Barett Otani, Information and Education Specialist, at 961-8787.

map of work area

Friday
Feb102017

Hakalau Stream Bridge (29-3)

The Hakalau Stream Bridge (Bridge No. 001290001100003) located on Old Māmalahoa Highway (not on Highway 19)  and crosses over Hakalau Stream has been closed (no access allowed) and will remain closed until further notice due to public safety concerns.

The County conducted an assessment of the bridge and found the bridge’s northern abutment (foundation) has been undermined due to scouring from Hakalau Stream.  A plan of action is in process to repair the bridge that will meet the National Bridge Inspection standards and ensure the public’s safety at this stream crossing.

The Hakalau Beach Park will also be closed until further notice due to the closing of the bridge.

Complete Press release of Hakalau Stream Bridge Closure

Thursday
Feb092017

PROCLAMATION OF LOCAL STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR HAKALAU STREAM BRIDGE

PROCLAMATION OF LOCAL STATE OF EMERGENCY  WHEREAS, Act 111 of the 2014 Hawai‘i State Legislature provides for the establishment of County organizations for emergency management and disaster relief, with the Mayor having direct responsibility and authority over emergency management within the County; and 	 	WHEREAS, Act 111 of the 2014 Hawai‘i State Legislature and Chapter 7, Articles 1 and 2 of the Hawai‘i County Code, establish a Civil Defense Agency within the County of Hawai‘i, and prescribe said agency’s powers, duties, and responsibilities, and Act 111 of the 2014 Hawai‘i State Legislature and Section 13 23 of the Hawai‘i County Charter empower the Mayor of the County to declare=