County of Hawai`i - Traffic and Roadwork


Reckless Driving

phone iconCall 911 (Police)

Road Hazards

phone iconCall 935-3311 (Police)

Road Closure Requests

phone iconCall 961-2227 (Police Traffic Services)

State Highway & Roads Maintenance

phone iconCall 933-8878 (State Highways)

Out of order traffic light icon and text Did You Know?

Traffic signals and stop signs are considered emergency repairs. Please call 961-8341 between 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. After hours, please report to Police at 935-3311.



To view any of the PDF documents you may use Adobe Acrobat Reader®, which is a free download. Use the Get Adobe® Reader® button and follow the instructions.

Adobe Acrobat Reader button "Get Acrobat Reader"

Speed Limit Signs

The legal speed limit for a County of Hawai‘i residential area, construction zone or in SCHOOL zones or crossings when children are present is 25 MPH; a COMMERCIAL area is 30 MPH.

On site inspections by a staff member would be the initial step in the process of changing a speed limit. If the speed limit change is warranted, please be aware that the process may take several months, as speed limit changes require Hawai‘i County Council approval.

To request a speed limit sign

Please review Speed Regulations on page 24-38 in Chapter 24 of the Hawai‘i County Code before requesting a speed limit sign. Fill in the form below with the following information and submit.